Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Review: Catching Fire

Catching Fire

Katniss is back in District 12 and trying to settle into the Victor's Village. Although Peeta lives nearby, she never sees him, and her relationship with Gale has drastically changed. She's trying to figure out how to carry on when she becomes aware of the unrest growing among some, maybe all of the other districts. And she and Peeta are probably to blame. President Snow makes it very clear that, while on their upcoming Victory Tour, they will need to be convincingly in love. And not just convincing to the public; convincing to him.

The tour does not go as smoothly as planned and rumors of rebellion are growing. Soon it's time for the next Hunger Games, but this time it's special, a seventy-fifth anniversary: the Quarter Quell. Katniss and Peeta should only have to be sponsors, but all the old rules are off. This time, everyone is agreed; Peeta must survive.

At first I thought this was going to drag, the beginning, back in District 12, seemed to take time to get going. But it didn't. Especially once "The Tour" kicked in, it was non-stop drama (the good kind) and action. And this book completely sold me on Peeta. In the Hunger Games, I wasn't too attached to either guy, but I was in complete agreement that, if anyone was to survive, it had to be Peeta. Of course things couldn't be that simple and Peeta has his own ideas.

In Catching Fire we meet new characters and have to live through another arena spectacle. This one certainly has a twist though and will have you reaching for the next book. I'd have it on hand if I were you. I was stubbornly waiting for the paperback to come out.

As for the movie, I wondered how they were going to do some of it, how much would they have to change. There was so much in the book, they couldn't possibly fit it all in. But once again, I thought the movie was amazing. The only thing I was aware of missing was Peeta's paintings. For the tour, they're supposed to exhibit their "talents." Katniss doesn't have any beyond her hunting prowess and "borrows" from Cinna. But Peeta is an artist. I would have liked to see that explored a little. And I don't think there was anything in either movie about the Avoxes, but I guess they have to cut something. I'm not complaining.



Reviews for The Glister Journals: Bronze

More Glister Journals info and excerpts at the book's website here: theglisterjournals.com

The Glister Journals: Bronze can be purchased through any bookseller, or purchase now at Amazon.com

Note: All original text and materials by or commissioned by B. B. Shepherd are copyright 2012-2014 to China Blue Publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment